Philadelphia Public Transportation Accident Attorney
The public transportation provider and commuter rail for the greater Philadelphia region is the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA). In 2022 alone, there were 146.9 million passengers transported on SEPTA’s buses, subways, commuter trains, and trolleys, helping to transport millions of people daily. The frequency that one experiences a public -transportation crash is relatively minimal in comparison to its use.
In 2018, approximately 27,000 people were injured in public transportation related crashes with 262 fatalities. While public transportation accidents do not happen often, the sheer size of the vehicle involved makes these accidents particularly devastating to passengers, pedestrians, and commuter vehicles on the road.
If you or a loved one have recently been injured a public transportation accident, then a Philadelphia public transportation accident attorney at Rosenbaum & Associates may be able to help you recover compensation for the serious injuries you sustained.
Philadelphia Public Transportation Resources
To access any point on the page below, click any of the following links.
Why Choose Us?
With a deep understanding of the Philadelphia legal landscape and a proven track record of success in personal injury cases, Rosenbaum & Associates is your trusted partner in seeking justice and compensation after a public transportation accident. Here’s why you should consider us for your case:
- Expertise in Public Transportation Accidents: Our legal team specializes in public transportation accident cases. We have in-depth knowledge of the laws and regulations that govern public transportation services in Philadelphia, enabling us to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Proven Results: Our firm has a history of securing substantial settlements and verdicts for our clients. We leverage our experience and resources to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
- Compassionate Advocacy: We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that public transportation accidents can have on victims and their families. Our team provides compassionate and personalized legal representation, guiding you through every step of the process with empathy.
- Thorough Investigation: Public transportation accidents often require a thorough investigation to determine liability and gather evidence. Our legal team works diligently to collect evidence, interview witnesses, and reconstruct the accident to build a compelling case.
- Effective Negotiation and Litigation: Whether through negotiation or litigation, we are prepared to advocate for your rights and interests. Our experienced personal injury attorneys in Philadelphia are not afraid to take your case to court if it’s in your best interest.
At Rosenbaum & Associates, our commitment to securing justice and compensation for our clients is reflected in our track record of success. We have obtained substantial settlements and verdicts for victims of public transportation accidents, helping them rebuild their lives after devastating incidents. Here are some examples of our case results:
- $1 Million Settlement: 12 year old boy was hit by a car while selling newspapers in the street. The driver was using a stolen vehicle and ran a red light, the car/driver had no insurance. Client sustained crush injury to his foot and had extensive surgery. We claimed the newspaper company was also responsible for allowing a child to sell papers on a busy street.
- $1.7 Million Verdict: 45 year man was rear-ended causing herniated disc and eventually requiring back surgery.
These case results showcase our dedication to achieving the best possible outcomes for our clients. But don’t just take our word for it—read what our clients have to say about their experiences working with us.
“Rosenbaum & Associates is hands down amazing. I was always able to stay in contact with Mr. Rosenbaum to keep me updated on the status of my claim without any problems. I am extremely satisfied with my decision choosing Rosenbaum & Associates and I recommend them to everyone.” – Review From Superpages.com
“I have used this firm twice and I had great results on both cases. I would definitely refer my friends and family to use them and refer others as well. If you want an experienced attorney and great results and you want someone who will fight to get you what you deserve I would tell anyone and everyone this firm is it.” – AVVO REVIEW
Types of Public Transportation
Public transportation encompasses various modes of travel that people rely on daily. Some common types of public transportation in Philadelphia include:
- Buses: Public buses serve both urban and suburban areas, transporting passengers to destinations within the city and surrounding regions.
- Subway and Elevated Trains: Philadelphia’s subway and elevated train system provides efficient transportation within the city, offering quick access to key locations.
- Trolleys: Trolley systems operate along specific routes, providing convenient transport within designated neighborhoods.
- Regional Rail: Regional rail lines connect Philadelphia with nearby towns and suburbs, offering longer-distance travel options.
Common Causes of Public Transportation Accidents
While public transportation plays a crucial role in transportation in Philadelphia, accidents can still occur due to various factors. Some of the most common causes of public transportation accidents include:
- Driver Negligence: Despite their professional training, public transportation drivers can succumb to fatigue, distraction, or even impairment, leading to accidents that put passengers and pedestrians at risk.
- Poor Maintenance: Just as any mode of transportation requires maintenance, public vehicles and infrastructure must also be well-maintained. Neglected maintenance can result in mechanical failures that contribute to accidents.
- Inadequate Training: Properly operating public transportation vehicles requires comprehensive training. Inadequate training for drivers and staff can result in accidents arising from mishandling of vehicles or ineffective response during emergency situations.
- Equipment Malfunctions: Technical glitches and malfunctions within trains or other vehicles can swiftly escalate into accidents. These malfunctions can pose threats to passengers and pedestrians alike.
Steps To Take After A Public Transportation Accident
Being involved in a public transportation accident can be disorienting and overwhelming. Taking the right steps immediately after the incident can greatly impact your well-being and the strength of your case. Here’s what you should do:
- Prioritize Safety: Ensure your safety and the safety of others involved. Move to a safe location and seek medical attention for any injuries.
- Report the Incident: Contact the appropriate authorities to report the accident. This documentation can be crucial for your case.
- Gather Information: Collect the names and contact details of witnesses, as well as any available evidence such as photographs or videos.
- Seek Medical Care: Even if your injuries seem minor, seek medical attention promptly. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent but could worsen over time.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep any relevant documents, such as medical records and transportation tickets, as they can support your claim.
- Avoid Making Statements: Avoid discussing the incident with others or making statements to insurers without consulting an attorney.
Seeking Compensation After a Public Transportation Accident
When you’ve been affected by a public transportation accident, the aftermath can be overwhelming, impacting various aspects of your life. Seeking compensation is essential to help you regain your footing and move forward. At Rosenbaum & Associates, our Philadelphia public transportation attorney is committed to tirelessly advocating for your rights and pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Public transportation accidents can lead to a range of physical, emotional, and financial damages. As you consider seeking compensation, it’s crucial to understand the types of damages you may be eligible for:
- Medical Expenses: Your injuries may require immediate medical attention and ongoing treatments. Compensation can cover medical bills, hospital stays, surgeries, rehabilitation, and necessary medications.
- Lost Wages: Injuries from a public transportation accident can result in time away from work. Compensation can address the income you’ve lost due to your inability to work during your recovery.
- Pain and Suffering: The physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident are valid components of your claim. Compensation can help acknowledge the challenges you’ve endured.
- Emotional Distress: Public transportation accidents can lead to psychological trauma and emotional distress. Compensation can account for the emotional toll the accident has taken on your well-being.
- Rehabilitation Costs: Depending on the severity of your injuries, you might require ongoing therapy and rehabilitation. Compensation can cover the costs associated with your recovery journey.
- Property Damage: If personal belongings were damaged or lost during the accident, compensation can help you replace or repair them.
SEPTA: Know Your Rights
Similar to passenger vehicle accidents, public transportation accidents tend to encompass one or more contributing factors such as, distracted driving, adverse weather conditions, limited experience or training, recklessness and poor vehicle maintenance. Pennsylvania recognizes that driving a public transportation vehicle requires special skills, advanced driving abilities, and maneuvering techniques resulting in special licensing.
Buses, trolleys and trains are considered “common carriers” under the law and therefore, the driver and the company they professionally drive for are in a position where they owe their passengers a heightened duty of care. However, these vehicles are also provided some protection under the law.
For example, if a public transportation vehicle jerks or has a sudden stop throwing a passenger to the ground and causing injury, they are not automatically liable. Under Pennsylvania law there is the “jerk and jolt” doctrine, which states that unless you can prove a specific act of negligence the mere fact that the vehicle jerked causing injury is not enough to prove a claim.
Contact Our Philadelphia Public Transportation Accident Lawyer
Our Philadelphia public transportation accident lawyers have handled thousands of public transportation accidents and knows how to prove you are entitle to recovery. Further, since SEPTA is a state agency they are granted some immunity, which provides additional limitations against accident claims.
That is why it is important to retain a Philadelphia public transportation accident attorney who is experienced in handling SEPTA claims. If you were an injured pedestrian recently struck by a public transportation vehicle, injured while riding as a passenger, or were in a vehicle that was hit by a public transportation vehicle, the law offices of Rosenbaum & Associates may be able to assist you in receiving compensation for the unexpected medical bills, long-term permanent injuries, lost wages, and the daunting uphill legal battle.
If you or a loved one have recently been injured in a public transportation accident, act quickly to protect your rights and determine whether you have grounds for a case. Contact the Philadelphia public transportation accident attorney at Rosenbaum & Associates for questions or a free case evaluation. Contact us online or call (215) 569-0200.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should I Do Immediately After A Public Transportation Accident?
If you are involved in a public transportation accident, prioritize your safety and the safety of others. Seek medical attention for any injuries and report the incident to the authorities. Collect information from witnesses and document the scene if possible.
Can I Seek Compensation For My Injuries After a Public Transportation Accident?
Yes, if you’ve been injured in a public transportation accident due to negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Consult with an experienced public transportation accident attorney to assess your case.
How Can An Attorney Help With My Public Transportation Accident Case?
An attorney can investigate the accident, gather evidence, identify liable parties, and negotiate with insurers on your behalf. Their expertise ensures that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Is There a Time Limit To File A Public Transportation Accident Claim?
Yes, there is a statute of limitations for filing personal injury claims. It’s important to consult an attorney as soon as possible after the accident to ensure that you meet the deadlines for filing.
How Can I Afford Legal Representation For My Case?
Rosenbaum Injury Law operates on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay legal fees if we successfully recover compensation for you. Our priority is to help you without adding financial stress. So if we don’t win, you don’t pay.
Locations We Serve
Our team serves many areas in Philadelphia, including:
West Philadelphia | Center City | University City | Old City | Rittenhouse Square | Fishtown | Northern Liberties | Fairmount | Manayunk | Chestnut Hill| East Falls | Queen Village | East Passyunk | Germantown | Mount Airy | Bella Vista | Passyunk Square | Logan Square | Fairmount Park | Callowhill | East Kensington | South Philadelphia Brewerytown | Point Breeze | Spring Garden | Chinatown | Market East | Penn’s Landing | Society Hill | Templetown